Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Teen Angst- AKA Characters we love to hate... or just hate.

Ok, before I start with my self-indulgent blah, blah, blahing, I have to comment on this photo. I was searching for a photo that demonstrated"teen angst". And I came across this and thought, "that's it". When I clicked through it was an advert for a depression clinic and it was posted next to "warning signs for depression." Ok, teen depression and suicide are no laughing matter, but I looked at their list of warning signs and then looked at this photo and couldn't help but laugh because what is a bigger warning sign of depression than LYING IN THE ROAD? I mean, come on.

So, back to the point. In my conversation with my brilliant friend yesterday, she said that she had read some of my book and she found my young main character super annoying. Which, on the face of it, is hardly a compliment. But then she compared her to that annoying Bella Swann-- who I also found extremely frustrating-- and I couldn't help but think, "I nailed it". So, hurray, I have captured the annoying-ness of teen angst. And, as long as people can get past my irritating character and keep reading, I'm good. But therein lies the hurdle. If they can't, I have created bonfire fodder. Good thing it is camping season.

Pardee out.

No comments:

Post a Comment