Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Revisiting the Cover


So, I listened in on a Q&A on self-publishing yesterday and one of the main points that I took away was that the cover is everything. Bad cover = no sales. This is the second time I have heard this and I am ready to take it seriously.

Now, my covers are lovely photos, but they are kind of boring and lackluster and make me want to sing hymns and drink the Kool Aid.

So, I have begun the search for a new cover through the awesome power of Google images. And, lo and behold, I found it. The perfect photo.

No... not this one. Although it would make a hell of a cover. Sadly, the photo I pine for was not taken by Uncle Bob on vacation, it was taken by a professional. A lovely British woman. So I have e-mailed her and we are in negotiations.

And I am stuck. This photo is awesome. I can't show it yet but trust me. But how much should I pay for it? I have made all of $2.00 on this book and may not make any more. So how much are the rights to a fantastic cover worth? On the other hand, if the cover really makes the book, I could be swimming in cash-ola. I guess this is what they call an investment gamble.

Anyone with advice?

Pardee Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment